Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Nuts



My father-in-law graciously sent over two large bags of nuts. The children love nuts as is but since Thanksgiving is coming up I thought I would try something special. While I was doing my shopping at Whole Foods yesterday I saw some lovely spiced nuts but resisted buying them because of the sugar content. Most recipes for spiced nuts have corn syrup and/or sugar. I thought I would try it using maple syrup. The results are delicious! I hope you agree. This recipe makes a very large batch, two cookie sheets worth.


Continue reading after the jump...





Sweet and Spicy Nuts:
  • 4 Cups Raw Pecans
  • 4 Cups Raw Almonds
  • 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
  • 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
  • 1 Teaspoon Stevia
  • 1/8 Teaspoon White Pepper
  • 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

Method:


Combine nuts into a large bowl and set aside.



Combine spices and stevia into separate small bowl. Mix well and set aside.



Get the large bowl of nuts and slowly pour maple syrup into the mixture. Stir very well.



Take small bowl of spices and evenly spread spices into the nuts.



Stir very well.



Take two cookie sheets and line with parchment paper. Spoon nuts onto the sheets as evenly as possible.



Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes take a fork and stir the nuts. Switch the cookie sheets on the oven racks. Set your timer for another 8 minutes.



When the nuts are golden, bubbling and caramelized they are finished. Remove from the oven. Separate any nuts that have stuck together. Allow to cool.



Enjoy!




Like us on Facebook to get timely updates right in your news feed!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed these at Thanksgiving. Last year for Christmas I made candied spiced pecans for my Dad because he loves nuts. I think he'll get these this year instead, they were so goooooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Laura! It seems kind of funny to me that you came on here for the recipe instead of calling! Ha ha :) This blog is fun. Thanks for the compliment! I hope your Dad likes them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...