Sunday, December 19, 2010

Venison Stew


I sometimes talk about eating local and in season because I think it is important. Well, you can not get more local or in season than this venison! My friend Jenny's husband is a hunter. It is deer season (or it may have just ended) so many people around here have freezers full of venison. Jenny kindly gave me this deer roast. This is my first time cooking with venison meat. I was interested to see how vastly different the color of this meat is, a rich garnet color. And also very, very lean. I decided to make a stew much like how I would make a regular beef stew. This is another overnight stew (or start in the morning for dinner). Instead of the fairly common potato, I went with the sweet potato. This stew turned out great. It is so hearty that it is a meal in itself. I like knowing where our food comes from (especially our meat) and think it is cool to have the opportunity to use this meat. If you do not have access to venison, I am sure a beef roast would make a fine substitute.


Continue reading after the jump...

Venison Stew
  • Venison Roast (this one was 1.75 lbs)
  • 8 Cups of Broth (I used Turkey because I had some I wanted to finish. I think any would be good.)
  • 4 Small Sweet Potatoes (peeled)
  • 4 Stalks of Celery
  • 4 Carrots (peeled)
  • 1 Large Onion (or 2 small)
  • 1 Cup Red Wine
  • 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
  • 4 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

Method:

Take out the crock pot. Set to high. Add the broth. Cut the roast into fairly even chunks.


In a pot or pan (I am using my cast iron) melt coconut oil. Turn to a high setting. Put the venison into the pot and quickly sear on high heat.


While that is searing dice up all of the veggies.


After the venison is seared transfer to your stew with a slotted spoon. Turn the heat on your pot to medium.


Add onions. Cook until translucent.


Add the carrots and celery. Cook until just tender.


Add sweet potatoes.


Give it a stir and cook another minute or two.


Transfer all veggies to the crock pot.


Take the wine and deglaze your pot or pan. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes.



Transfer the wine into the crock pot.



Stir.


Cover and reduce heat from high to the lowest setting (mine is keep warm) overnight or on low for 4-6 hours. I definitely recommend overnight with this (any any of my stews, soups of chili's).

Good Morning! Lets see how our stew looks. Picture below is before stirring.


I waited to season this until the morning. I have not cooked with venison before and was unsure what seasonings to use. I wanted to wait to season it until morning so that I could taste it and determine from there Add spices and stir.



Next take the arrowroot powder and mix it with an equal amount of broth from the stew (4 Tablespoons).


Whisk until all arrowroot powder is dissolved.


 Add to the stew.


 Stir. Continue cooking on the lowest setting for 15 minutes or more.


Ready to serve. Enjoy!




I submitted this recipe to Monday Mania, check it out for other great recipes from real food bloggers.


Like us on Facebook and get updates directly in your news feed!

4 comments:

  1. Found you at Monday Mania. This stew looks so yummy and I like the sweet potatoes especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much, Lacey. I am a big fan of sweet potatoes (as is probably evident if you look at the recipe archives, ha ha). Great blog, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now...if I could only get my hands on some venison. Sounds delicious.

    Found you at HHE carnival. Would love to have you stop by my blog and you can join my Tip Day Thursday carnival too if you'd like.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I am sure it would be good with a beef roast, too.

    I went to your blog, very nice. I will try to remember to head over there on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...