Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tomato Basil Coconut Bisque


I have been on a bit of a soup kick lately. There is nothing like a nice, warm, filling cup of soup on a cold winter afternoon. I made this dish dairy free because a friend of my cousins is avoiding dairy and I wanted to think up some easy dishes for her. I made this soup with coconut milk, and I have to say that I do not miss the dairy one bit. In fact, it really does not taste any different from a normal creamy tomato soup. The coconut is very subtle. As usual, this makes a big batch so feel free to reduce the quantities if you desire. This is another one of my crock pot low and slow dishes. You can start the night before if you want it for lunch the next day or you can start it in the morning for dinner.



Continue reading after the jump...


Tomato Basil Coconut Bisque
  • 2 Cans of Tomatoes (28 ounces)
  • 1 Can of Coconut Milk (13.60 ounces or 403 ml - strange amount, huh!)
  • 4 Cups Broth (I used turkey but chicken would be my first choice- or vegetable for the vegetarians)
  • 1 Large Onion (or 2 small)
  • 1 Clove of Garlic
  • 2 Stalks of Celery
  • 2 Carrots
  • 1 Tablespoon of Basil
  • 1 Tablespoon Organic No Salt Seasoning
  • 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt (this could vary depending on how salty your broth is, add slowly)
  • 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper

Method:

Take out the crock pot. Set on high and add the broth.


Add the tomatoes to the broth.


Measure out the spices. Set aside.


Take out the garlic and the veggies and dice.


In a pot melt the coconut oil and bring the heat to medium setting. Add garlic and onions.


Cook until translucent. Then add the carrots and celery.


Continue to cook until the veggies are soft. Add the spices.


Cook another minute or two until well incorporated. Transfer veggies to the crock pot.


Stir. Turn down to lowest setting (mine is keep warm) overnight or on low for 4-6 hours.

Good morning. Notice how the soup is darkened. Take a measuring cup and transfer soup into a blender. Careful, its hot!


Blend, starting on low and turning up to the medium setting. Blend in batches until you reach the desired consistency. I like mine smooth so I blended longer. Like it a little chunkier? No problem, don't blend as long.


Return to the crock pot. At this point I decided this needed a bit of sweetness. I added 1 Tablespoon of Maple Syrup.  This is optional, you can taste before you decide.


Stir. Add the can of coconut milk, reserving a small amount if you wish to garnish with it.


Stir well. Turn heat back up to high for the last hour or two.


Yum! All done. Perfect comfort food on a cold day. Enjoy!



I submitted this recipe to Real Food Wednesdays  and Monday Maniacheck them out for other great recipes from real food bloggers!


Like us on Facebook and get updates directly in your news feed!


5 comments:

  1. This soup looks wonderful and I will give it a try soon. Thank you for sharing your recipe and your lovely photo's. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet to make this!! It looks awesome AND I bought coconut oil today -- can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You, Miz Helen! I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas!

    Tina- I am so glad! I hope you like it! Love you SO much, birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tomato soup and the addition of coconut milk makes this one a must try.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Brenda. Let me know how you like it if you do end up trying it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...