Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cauliflower, Broccoli and Cheese Soup


I love broccoli and cheese soup, it is so filling and delicious. However, what I don't love is that most recipes are made with processed cheese and white flour for thickening. After making the Cauliflower Au Gratin, where I used pureed cauliflower as a thickener I got the idea to try using that to thicken other dishes. Broccoli and Cheese Soup came to mind. Cauliflower goes nicely with broccoli so I thought I would give it a shot! The result is a thick and rich soup without processed cheese or white flour, and the added nutritional bonus of a head of cauliflower! I am very pleased with this recipe, in fact I ate only this soup the entire day. I started this soup in the morning to be ready by lunchtime. Enjoy!





Continue reading after the jump...






Cauliflower, Broccoli and Cheese Soup


  • 8 Cups of Homemade Chicken Broth
  • 1 Head of Cauliflower 
  • 2 Large Bunches of Broccoli
  • 1 Cup of Milk
  • 8 oz of Mild Cheddar cheese
  • 2 Tablespoon of Butter
  • 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder


In the crock pot (or on the stovetop) add the chicken broth and place on high.


Meanwhile cook the cauliflower (any method you prefer, I steamed mine). Place all of the cooked cauliflower into the blender. Add a cup of the broth and blend until creamy and smooth.



Add the contents of the blender in with the chicken broth.


Continue to cook on high until it comes to a simmer, then turn the heat down to low.


Cook the broccoli (again, I steamed mine). Place on butting board and dice to your desired consistency.


Add to the broth/cauliflower mixture.


Continue to cook on low for about 2 hours.


After two hours or so you will want to start the cheese sauce. In a small pot add the butter and melt on low heat.


Next add the milk to the butter.


Measure out the spices. My broth is not salted, if you have pre-made broth you may want to taste the soup before adding the salt.


Add to the butter and the milk.


Shred or, if you are lazy like me, dice the cheese and add to the mixture.


Stir until smooth.


Add to the soup.


Stir. Continue to cook for another hour.


After an hour, you are ready to serve.


 Enjoy!


I submitted this recipe to Simple Lives Thursday, check it out for other great recipes from real food bloggers!


Like us on Facebook to get timely updates right in your news feed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...