Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pumpkin Soup



Thanksgiving is right around the corner. The Scratch.Love extended family will be celebrating the holiday here at our home. Usually the honor of hosting Thanksgiving dinner goes to my parents (my mother is a fantastic cook and I look forward to this meal every single year). This year my parents are doing some home renovations so we had to change location. I have been thinking about the menu and wanted to try doing a soup, which we have never done for Thanksgiving. I was thinking butternut squash. Since I am a fly by the seat of your pants kind of cook I knew I would need a trial run. I had a little bit of a problem though because I had no squash. Then I remembered I had a can of organic pumpkin in the pantry. Humm. Pumpkin Soup. Lets give it a try!


Pumpkin Soup:
  • 1 Medium Onion
  • 1 Medium Carrot
  • 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
  • 1 Clove of Garlic
  • 1 Can Pure Pumpkin
  • 4 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Sage
  • 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • Heavy Cream as Garnish (optional)

Method:

Dice the onion and cook in the butter with the garlic until they start to brown.


Add grated carrot and bell pepper.


Cook until soft.


Add the can of pure pumpkin.


Here come the spices!


Scoop out contents of the pot and blend until smooth.


Return to the pot, add the broth and bring to a simmer.


Let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes before serving.



If you wish you can add a drizzle of heavy cream as a garnish right before serving.



*This dish can be easily made dairy free by omitting the heavy cream as a garnish and using coconut oil instead of the butter.


Like us on Facebook to get timely updates right in your news feed!

2 comments:

  1. at what point do you add in the chicken broth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Brian,

    I am new to this blogging thing and you have rightly pointed out that I missed a step! I added the chicken broth when I returned the contents of the blender into the pot. I will edit the post. I need you to be my proofreader! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...