Wednesday, February 2, 2011

French Dip Sandwich



This sandwich was inspired by my cousin, Tina. She was making a french dip sandwich for dinner and had the roast in the crock pot. I thought that sounded great, but decided to roast the beef instead of slow cook it since it was already later in the day. These sandwiches are very easy and quite delicious. Homemade sourdough, thinly sliced roast beef, good quality cheese and homemade au jus make the perfect french dip sandwich! I think next time I might try the slow cooker version to compare.


Continue reading after the jump...




French Dip Sandwich

  • Beef Roast (mine was 2.5 lbs)
  • 2 Cups Homemade Beef Broth
  • Good Quality Cheese of your preference
  • Homemade Sourdough
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil for Searing Beef
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste 



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take out the roast and liberally season with Sea Salt and Pepper.


Place the Coconut Oil into your cast iron pot. Preheat the pot and sear the meat on medium to high heat.


 Continue to sear on each side.


When you are finished searing the beef place the entire pot into the oven for roasting.


For medium, roast about 90 minutes at 350 or until the internal temperature is around 160 degrees. Note: I think next time I would cook it a little less, perhaps to 150 as I would have preferred the beef a little less done.


Take it out and allow to rest while you make the au jus.


 Place the pot back on the stove at a medium heat. Add two cups of homemade beef stock and bring to a simmer.



Stir well and often with a whisk. Allow to reduce to your desired consistency. Since I had homemade broth this was a nice consistency and did not require a thickener. Finished product in below photo.


Meanwhile you will want to slice your roast as thinly as possible.


Thinly slice the cheese of your preference. I am using Kerrygold Dubliner, which is a favorite in my household.


Time for assembly! On a plate place a slice of your homemade sourdough and add the roast beef. 



And now the cheese.


Thats it! This recipe is so simple.



Give everyone their own little bowl filled with au jus for dipping.


Dip the sandwich...


And enjoy!


I submitted this recipe to Simple Lives Thursday, check it out for other great recipes from real food bloggers.


Like us on Facebook to get timely updates right in your news feed!

4 comments:

  1. Wow...yummo! How about some horseradish cream sauce to go along with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! That would have been perfect, but we did not have any on hand! This was a last minute meal decision! Next time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh.... YUM! I want that so bad... right now! I'm so sad Elizabeth, I killed my sourdough starter! I completely forgot that it was on top of my fridge and it molded over, yuck! I'm starting over because I want to make your sourdough bread.. it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana- Do you want me to send you some of my starter in the mail? I will if you send me your address on Facebook or email or something! Let me know...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...